<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 05, 2019

Subscription Programs 

It’s Worth Paying For

Many years ago I decided not to use pirated programs. You know, you get a legitimate program, find a code and you're good to go - if you don't get caught.


I figure it costs a lot of time and money to develop these programs, so companies and individuals deserve compensation.


So I have purchased the programs that I depend on from the proper sources. And its worth it. Updates are often supplied regularly for free, and upgrades are often offered at discounted prices.



Some Programs Are Free

True, there are some programs that are free, and I have used a few of those and I do send in a contribution if I find one that does an outstanding job for me.


But now days you have to watch those very carefully. Free programs often include a pre-checked install of an unwanted program.

Always do a ‘custom’ install of any program. Observe all boxes and options very carefully.



The Annual Subscription

Now there's a new way of doing things appearing more and more in the software world.


Subscriptions to your favourite programs. Yes, you pay a monthly or annual fee to use the program. Updates are provided free of course, which is often the company's main selling feature, their reason you should do it that way.


In my opinion it is a way to boost their income, which increases user cost, especially for low use customers.



Not For Me

As an advanced hobbyist in the computer world, involved in web master activities and video editing primarily, I refuse to participate in these subscription type programs. I just don't get enough use out of any one program to justify paying a monthly or annual subscription to any program.


Some companies still provide both a subscription version and a stand alone version, while others there are free open source alternatives available to do the job. I sure hope that continues with my favourite programs, for if it doesn't they will be just chasing me away to another vendors product.


Again I repeat: I would drop my favourite purchased software and go to a competitor if subscription is the only thing available.


Just my opinion!


Geo OneDayLogo
  • Creative Commons License
    This work by NSCAVE is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
  • Comments:

    Post a Comment

    What's your take? Agree? Disagree? Comment!

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?